Friday 31 January 2014

Aches & pains

I knew it wasn't going to be all moonlight & roses. 


With less than 4 weeks to go, 3 weeks & 4 days to be precise. The joys of the last leg are really starting to set in. Everything so far, aside from a little acne, gas and weight gain has been rather easy really. As I read "what to expect when you're expecting" each week, I am always surprised by how few symptoms have effected me.

Physically, it has all been going quite well. Mentally, it is also going well... although since attending more and more antenatal classes, and reading more around labour, I am still to freak a little about the reality of what's to come.

This is, of course, all to be expected.

Wednesday evening, I suffered my first bout of pain and real worry (since those early days of pregnancy when I was constantly terrified that one shove too many on the tube would end this amazing journey for me). 

Around 10pm a sharp pain started on my left side. To be specific, the pain was in my lower abdomen just underneath the bump, only on the left side. These are the words I typed into Google over and over again. Nothing really came up, much to my surprise. A lot of people experienced aches and pains throughout pregnancy but most of them suffered it on their right side, not the left.

I am not going to over-exaggerate. I wasn't going crazy with worry as throughout the night (the pain stopped at 6am so it was an utterly sleepless, frustrating and at times desperate evening for me) Baby J was moving and hiccuping away. If he hasn't of been, it would have been a different story.

No matter what position I got into, how I arranged myself of my pillows, the pain would just not let up, It was constant, which before you ask is how I knew that I wasn't in labour!!!

The next morning at 6.30am I dropped the hubs at the station, I was so tired. I was so low. He told me to take him but 1. I was up anyway, and 2. it was raining. Also, the pain had stopped at this point, I was just feeling more tired than I've ever felt and concerned as to what the pain was.

At 7am my mum came round and we waited in pain, accompanied by daytime TV waiting for my midwife to pick up the phone, or return my messages.

Eventually she did, and she was sure I was fine but wanted to see me. After a thorough examination, she concluded that it was a trapped nerve. Apparently we have a lot of nerves in this area and this sort of pain is quite common at this stage of labour. I was very delighted to hear that it will most likely return soon, and keep coming back for the remaining of my pregnancy!!! 

I really don't mind being in pain. I am just relived to know what it is, and that the baby is ok. 

I suppose this is the start of real pregnancy. The month before you get your prize where your body is stretched beyond belief making it impossible to every get comfy and making random aches and pains a normal  part of daily life.


As I said at the start of this post, it can't all be moonlight & roses... you have to earn your prize don't you!!!! 

I can't say that I am looking forward to the next few weeks... I said in an earlier post that I am going to enjoy these next few weeks of pregnancy... I am starting to think that this comment may have been a little naive....

GET HIM OUT ALREADY!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment